Distractions are never productive, always present at your fingerprints and almost always succeed in wasting your time and stealing attention away from something important.
They even distract you from staying healthy. Think about it this way. Decades later when you will be a crooked old man unable to keep a straight posture, what will you tell your grandson when he asks why you can’t stand upright?
- That you were too busy bending over to look at your phone?
- That you were looking downwards while texting on the go?
- That you never found time for workout because you were busy watching TV?
Let’s face it. It’s not easy to ignore the distractions. If it were, everybody would be great at it which is far from reality. At the same time, there are inspiring stories all around us. When you are walking back home while munching on whatever junk food you could get your hands on, have you noticed the people giving everything they have in the gyms overlooking the streets? They are your neighbours. They are your inspiration. They are not any less distracted doesn’t matter. The fact that they get where they need to be for their health does.
Here is a quick set of tips that might help you in beating your distractions. In the end, however, it’s up to you:
- Don’t walk and text. I know it’s a ‘mobile’ phone but when you are walking it is best to focus on your posture and walk briskly.
- Minimise watching TV. If you do watch it, restrict your time with the idiot box. Watch selective show. Avoid channel surfing for hours. If you want better content, switch to a streaming service.
- Don’t be on your screen so much. The world around you will always be more interesting than whatever virtual reality you immerse in. This is where you live, where your family lives and where the most important things in life happen. It doesn’t matter if it’s for work. Just remember – “No amount of money ever bought a second of time.”
- Keep your head in the game. Ask yourself what it is that you want. Dedicate yourself to your predecided goals. If you decide that you will go to the gym every day, there is no force in the universe that can stop you (short of a natural calamity).
- Be confident and relaxed. Some people don’t just waste time on distractions. They have a habit of beating themselves up after it. The best thing to do in this scenario would be to keep a level head. There is always a new tomorrow on the horizon.